Transformative travel is becoming more important than ever.
After all of the shifts that have taken place over the past few years, many avid travelers are craving authenticity in all areas of life, especially when on an expedition.
A transformative travel experience is deeper than a regular vacation. It gets to the root of who you are and can totally change who you become.
What exactly is transformative travel and how can you have an experience like this? Is transformational travel for everyone?
This post is all about transformitive travel.
What Is Transformative Travel?
The definition of transformative is a marked change in someone or something.
Therefore, a transformative travel experience would be something that shifts you or your life as you know it as a result of traveling.
This type of travel is what creates the travel addict in the first place. The only thing humans will go after time and again is something that alters their perspective or creates a deep inner shift.
Often, there are two types of travelers, the ones who need a vacation every once in a while to relieve the stress that comes from being human and the ones that need to explore the world almost as much as they need to eat or breathe.
Those that seek experiences beyond the swim-up bar and room service tend to be the ones who feel the shifts taking place.
Now, I’m not at all saying your life can’t transform in a 5-star resort, because transformative travel is a personal experience and no one can say except for you how you feel.
However, there is a shift that happens when you step outside of your comfort zone and into the great unknown.
In the discovery of a new environment, a new experience, you will, in turn, become someone new.
Transformative travel is found here.
It is found in the moments where you decide to keep going even when you want desperately to give up.
Life-changing travel is created in opportunities of the unknown that you say “yes” to instead of no.
Transformation can be both a strength and vulnerability.
Transformative travel can be a rediscovery of Mother Earth and the deep connection you share with the planet.
It can be a BIG moment of pure life force or synchronistic energy that you know you have been divinely guided.
It can be a bunch of small realizations that don’t even hit you until you are home and you realize you are forever changed.
Transformational travel is often shared with others and is also deeply personal.
Is Transformative Travel For Everyone?
Yes and no.
More often than not this type of travel experience will find you when you are ready for it.
It is magical in the way that you can’t force a transformative experience to happen, it simply does.
If you have the intention to experience a shift, you will come across it. If you stay present and continue to put yourself out there transformation can happen daily as you travel through life.
How To Have A Transformative Travel Experience
There are a great many things you can do to set yourself up for a transformational travel experience. These will largely depend on who you are as a person, what kind of travel you enjoy, and in what ways you are wishing to shift.
Here are a few things to help get you started regardless of where you are headed:
- Who you travel with is everything. This one thing alone can make or break your trip. Choose someone intuitive, willing to get out of their comfort zone and on the same wave length as yourself. Of course, sometimes the most transformative experiences come from getting stuck in an unwanted situation. If that happens to you make the best of what you have, choose to see the people you are with as teachers to learn from and make better decisions next time you head out to adventure.
- Use your intuition. This might not seem important, but it is huge! Transformative travel is not just about saying yes to everything you come across. It is about learning to use your inner guidance system to guide you forward. Use a combination of logic and intuition as your compass.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Change doesn’t happen in our comfort zone. Imagine going to a gym and stopping your workout the moment you started to sweat, breathe heavy or felt your muscles burn. You wouldn’t see much change. The same goes for transformational travel. There is nothing wrong with taking a vacation and resting at a resort, but for those seeking a deeper connection you will need to be open to new experiences.
- Be present. Tune in to nature, the energy around you, your thoughts and things you focus upon. Stay present and watch the amazing transformations around you.
- Know your why. When you are aware of why you are choosing something or not you take part in co-creating a bit more than when you let life just happen to you. Your why can be the very thing that takes your everyday vacation and turns it into a transformative travel experience. Choose your why’s with care and allow them to resonate with where YOU are at. Be mindful of constant people pleasing while traveling and ask yourself, does this feel in alignment for me?
- Go with the flow. This is pretty self explanatory. Things come up during travel. The weather, flights delayed, experiences and people not as expected. Just relax and go with the flow. See what happens when you allow things to be as they are. Release your desire to change things to make them fit how you think it should be and appreciate all that is.
Transformative Travel Ideas
- Go hiking somewhere new
- Try rock climbing
- Surf camp
- Scuba diving
- Ride a horse
- Learn to free dive
- Go on safari
- Volunteer to work with animals
- Sign up for a work for travel/housing trade program
- Make a bucketlist and start checking things off
- Do a yoga retreat
- Go on a spiritual quest
- See some world famous art
- Explore a jungle (safely)
The list is endless! Hopefully, this post inspired you to get outside a bit more this year and see the world. It is up to you to create a life full of adventure. The more you get out of your comfort zone, the more you will allow yourself to grow.
This post is all about transformative travel.
If you enjoyed this post check out:
Want more transformational travel resources? Check out the Master Your Travel Podcast